Friday, February 15, 2013

Can Apple Pie Filling

 Wow, time really flies! I have been meaning to blog about apple pie filling since last October. So finally here it is. :)
 

I am lucky enough to have a good source of delicious apples. Every fall I try to can apple pie filling. It makes it so easy to make an apple pie or cobbler on the spur of the moment. Just pull the jar out of the pantry and place it in your pie shell and bake. Here's my recipe and how-to for you to do the same.


Apple Pie Filling
Makes 6-7 quart jars
Ingredients: 10 cups water, 4 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup cornstarch, 3 tbs lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ginger & 6-7 quarts peeled, cored & sliced apples. The bottom picture shows the apples I used. From left to right they are Gala, Braeburn & Jonagold, a little different selection this year. I usually use Granny Smith but these were just as yummy.

 
Dip the apples in a little lemon juice to keep them from turning brown and set aside. 
 
What else you'll need: 6-7 quart jars with lids and rings, a large stock pot, canning funnel optional (but makes it a lot easier), water bath canner, canning jar tongs.
 
 

 

Blend dry ingredients in a large stock pot. Add water. Bring to a boil over medium heat until thick. Stirring frequently. Add lemon juice. Pack apples in quart jars and pour filling over to fill jar leaving 1/2 inch head space. Place  jars in water bath canner. Make sure the water is at a boil already and that it is at least 1 inch over the top of the quart jars. Boil jars for 20 minutes. Remove jars from canner and let cool for 24 hours before moving them to a cool dark storage area. Enjoy!
 
 
If you'd like my super easy apple cobbler recipe, leave me a comment and I'll see if I can get it posted. Thanks for checking in on me. And remember an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
 Linda
      


 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...