Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14th is often a cold bleak day, weather wise, where I live. But yesterday I wanted to show my love to the birds in my yard. I bought a birdhouse that will attract North American Bluebirds. These lovely little creatures would certainly brighten up anyones day.

I have an 8 foot 4X4 post in my garden area that we attatched strings to grow pole beans. Well I am only 5'2" so reaching those beans up high requires a ladder. I moved the eye hooks lower to be more accessable for bean picking. And the frugal person I am, I wanted the upper part of the pole to be put to good use. This made the ideal spot for my new birdhouse.
 
According to package instructions the bird house should be mounted 5-6 feet from the ground. Not around shrubs or tree line. The opening should face away from prevailing winds. So the birds would be happy facing east. Just clean it out once a year in early spring!

And of course we can't let the birds go hungry, so earlier this winter I hung a bird feeder in the tree. I have a difficult time deciding where to put the bird feeders. I don't like the seed to fall into my flower beds as that tends to grow into unwanted items. So finding a spot the lawn mower can take care of is best. And high enough the dogs won't bother it. This one feeds the little wrens and smaller birds.

 I have another that I need to get a shepherds hook for. It will feed the blue jays, cardinals and bigger birds. I don't know alot about bird watching. I just know it makes me happy to watch them and listen to the music they sing! I hope you are having a happy day too! Thanks for checking in on me. Linda

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...