Thursday, September 4, 2014

Patriotic Letter

I decided I didn't have enough patriotic decorations around the house and it was almost the 4th. Nothing I saw in a store would be coming home with me so I took on a new project.
This is how you do it:

buy: A large wooden letter at your favorite craft store. Don't forget to use your coupon! This one is 18" tall and about 1/4" thick made of pine.
Paint of your choice. This is what I got. I love working with these acrylics. Easy clean up and dries fast.
Painters tape. Mine is almost 2" wide. Don't cheap out on this. Get the good stuff. It's worth it in the end.
Polyurethane, satin finish, if you want to hang your letter outside.

You'll also need sandpaper, fine grit, and small craft paint brushes. Don't use a foam brush!!! I tried it, the wood is too rough and tore foams bits all over my project. :(

Let's get to it:
Paint the front side of the letter with white. Give it a good coat, 2 or 3. Remember it dries fast so this will take no time at all. Let it set overnight (or several hours) then grab the painters tape. Tape off desired stripes. Really press the edges of the tape down firmly so the paint won't seep under it.

Start painting the red stripes. Remember, less is more when you paint the taped edges. Light coats until you get the desired look. Once that's done go for the field of blue. Let dry and use the white again to paint your stars. It's a handmade item, the stars don't have to be perfect. After the stars are dry give the front and back 2 or 3 coats of polyurethane. I like to do this whether it'll be outside or note. It just gives it a shiny finished look.

I got fancy and cut some wire hangers to let them dry without sticking to anything. These particular letters have keyholes to hang them, however you may want to do what I did. I used the tiny screws that attached the hanger to display them at the store. Without screwing them in all the way, take some picture hanging wire or any light weight wire and wrap around each screw.

As you can see once I took mine to work, several more folks wanted one.

And this is for my friend that didn't know if a "D" would look good. This is going to knock her socks off. ;)

But wait! There's more. One friend asked if I could do a letter in a college theme. So with a little thought and some fun painting I came up with this. 

Ya, I'm probably breaking some kind of copyright laws but what's the internet for if you can't print the free coloring pages that are out there.


I have another order for 4 more letters. And a slipcover to make. So check back in on me and see how the Big Ugly Chair is coming along.

Leave me a note and let me know what you think. Remember I monitor your comments so if you don't see it right away that's because I haven't seen it yet. Thanks for checking in on me.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...