Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ruffled Cardigan

I love to sew. I can again credit my Grandma Eileen for this. When my twin and I were young we were in 4-H. My Grandma bought us a sewing machine and taught us how to sew when we were in 4th grade. I have sewed off and on for a long time stating the kids took too much of my time. Well the kids are grown and I have much more time. Right now I am into refashioning! This was one of my husbands’ dress shirts. I cut off the collar so it formed more of a V-neck. I also cut off the cuffs. I pinned it to fit me and sewed one long seam up each side. Starting at the bottom, sewing through the armpit and into the sleeves.

I hemmed around the neck area. I wasn't too neat in doing this as I knew my ruffle would cover it up. At the cuffs I also hemmed & used a decorative stitch to do so. Sorry, I didn't take a photo of this. I had a dilemma on my hands then. I needed more material for the ruffle than what I had leftover. So I went to my local Goodwill Store and as luck would have it they had a broadcloth shirt just like it. It was even a Land's End like my husbands' so the color matched perfect. And to add to that it was 50% off! A whole $2.00. It was meant to be.
Taking the purchased shirt home I cut 5" strips from it. I sewed the strips together end to end. Now I have one long strip. I sewed it lengthwise right sides together. Turning right side out, iron and I'm ready to ruffle it. I chose to baste it down the middle and ruffled to my liking. I pinned & sewed it up one side, around the neck & down the other side. I have a new cardigan to wear once the weather cools off. I got my idea from two different sources and combined them. Thanks to Chicevelopements & Ruffles & Roses.








2 comments:

Jodie said...

I love the finished shirt! Looks cute with leggings.I might have to try one like it next.
Jodie

Unknown said...

Thanks Jodie, We should have another sewing party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...