Sunday, July 22, 2012

Salsa by Lindaloo

I keep this recipe pretty close to me but so many have been asking for this for so long. If you aren't into canning, don't have the tomatoes or don't want to go to the trouble. I will always have a jar for you in the pantry. Remember to bring back the empty jar for a refill!

What you"ll need: Ingredients (this recipe makes 9 pints)
  • 24 medium beef steak or 48 roma tomatoes or a mixture of both
  • 2 cups chopped jalapeno's
  • 2 cups chopped green bell peppers (2-3)
  • 2 cups chopped onion (2-3)
  • 14 cloves garlic minced or I use minced garlic from the jar.
  • 1 tsp crushed oregano fresh
  • 2 tbsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 6 oz can tomato paste

What you'll need: Supplies

  • water bath canner
  • large kettle/stock pot
  • pint jars, lids & rings to fit. I use regular mouth jars.
  • jar tongs
  • measuring utensils
  • knives for dicing, vegetable chopper
  • cutting board with cookie sheet under it catches juices
  • spoons
  • cooling rack
  • paper towels
  • jar funnel
Blanch the tomatoes.
Dip them into boiling water in a large kettle for 30 seconds. Remove from boiling water and immediately dip tomatoes into cold water. I fill my sink with water and add ice cubes.



On the roma tomatoes I cut the stem end off and pinch off the skin. The tomato should slide right out. For other tomatoes cut out the core and peel. I blanch a pot full then ice them and then peel. Continue doing this till all tomatoes are peeled.

Now is a good time to fill canning kettle 3/4 full of water and start to bring it to a boil. It will be important to keep water boiling once jars are in the canner. With at least an inch of water over the top of the lids.

Chop your tomatoes. I like chunky salsa so I don't cut them too small.



Core other veggies, chop getting rid of seeds. Again, I like chunky salsa. You can place them in a blender or food processer for a smoother mixure. Place canning jars and rings in dishwasher and wash. I find the chopping more enjoyable if shared with my furry friends.

Add all ingredients to the large kettle. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occassionally. By now the dishwasher should be done. It's time to pack hot salsa into hot jars. Don't burn your fingers. Leave a 1/2 inch head space. That is the area from the top of the jar to the salsa.





Wipe the rim of the jar with a paper towel. Be sure the rim and outside of jar are clean. Rinse and completely dry lids. Make sure rings are dry as well. Place them on the jar. And place jar into canner using your tongs. My canner holds 7 jars. Place lid on canner.  Bring to a rolling boil and time for 20 minutes.Make sure water is at least 1 inch over the top of the jars. Take jars out of canner and place on cooling rack. Do not set them where there is a breeze and do not handle for 24 hours. Check to make sure your jars have sealed after the 24 hours by pressing on the lids. If there is give your jar has not sealed. Not to worry. The salsa is still good. You just need to eat it right away. Share it with your friends and family. Be sure to label your salsa with the date. I use a Sharpie marker right on the lid.

And that's it. As you know my veggie garden is recipe specific. I don't always get the bell pepper I need and have to run to the store and the salsa tastes just as good. If you like your salsa with a little more kick add the seeds from the jalapeno's. And watch the tears flow.  Happy Canning! Linda

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...