Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Mother's Day

We are so lucky to have wonderful women in our lives. They love us, raise us, teach us, train us and of course pass along many talents. I found this Mother's Day gift idea www.graphicsfairy.com . Here is how I did mine.

I bought 2 square glass platters at Target.
Chose stencils I liked. In this case I used initials and something to dress up the corners. You can find stencils at your local hobby and craft store.
You'll need glass paint. I recommend Martha Stewarts gloss opaque. I chose black.
A foam spouncer and painters tape.
Rubbing alcohol

Clean your platters with soap and water. I had to use Goo Gone as the price tag was right in the middle of the platter. Now use alcohol to clean off any oils or finger prints. Let dry.

Tape your stencil to the back of the platter. Remember to reverse it so it will be viewed correctly when it is right side up. I poured a little paint into a paper plate and used my foam spouncer to dab into the paint then get the excess off. You want to use a dry technique. Less is more. If you try to apply too much paint it will bleed and your stencil design will not have a clean look. If you work quickly you won't need to clean the stencil off if you plan to put the same design in another spot.
 
 
Once you've finished stenciling it's done. Cure for 21 days or bake. Baking is faster. You need to put the platter into a cold oven. Turn the temp to 350 degrees and let the platters warm as the oven does. Once it reaches 350 set the timer for 30 minutes. When it is done again leave the platters in to cool as the oven cools.
 
 
Wait 72 hours before using. This is dishwasher safe for top rack. I don't think I would try to bake with it.
 

 
So easy and just beautiful!!
 
Happy Mother's Day!
Linda
 
 
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...