Monday, August 26, 2013

Recycled Chandelier

 
As you have noticed, we are slowly remodeling our older home to fit us. Step by step, tile by tile, light fixture by light fixture. I love to go to Flea Markets, Antique Shops and Second Hand Stores. You never know what you will come home with. I introduced my son to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in our area earlier this summer. I came home with a chandelier for $15 he bought a desk chair for $5. It is hit or miss so check back with your local stores often as merchandise comes in all the time. This chandelier was a shiny brass. I've seen others repaint them so I thought I would give it a try.
 
I set up a spray both in the basement using sheets and plastic. I just tacked them into the joists. There's a shop light hanging in there so the lighting will be excellent.
 
 
I choose to paint it with a spray paint and primer all in one. This is a Lowes brand. I thought it performed just as well as Krylon or other name brands. Black with satin finish.
 
 


I purchased a canopy as the light did not come with one. I didn't care what the finish
on it was as I knew I would paint it along with the light.

 
I hung the light fixture from a joist in my new paint booth and started cleaning it up.
I took off the candle covers and cleaned them separately.
 
 

Then I cut up an old plastic bag and taped it around the mechanical  and light sockets. Give the fixture several light coats of paint allowing each coat to dry completely before adding the next coat. Paint the chain and cord as well.



It was really rainy early this summer so it took a little extra time to
completely dry with all the humidity.
 
 
Replace the candle covers. I had my hubby hook up the electrical. Some new bulbs and that's all there is to it. It not only adds more needed light but is a great piece to look at. I've been busy working on projects this summer. Check back to see what's next.
 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...